Monday, September 05, 2005

My thoughts on Science Fiction

I believe science fiction to be an immensely imaginative form of literature that encompasses both our known world and technologies but expands into far off galaxies with amazing inventions and new races of people. Science fiction plays upon our wildest imaginings, things that are impossible become possible through science fiction.
I too had a Star Trek dad, and spent most of the 80s watching the show with him. I swear my dad looks a lot like Capt. Picard, it's crazy. I've read a few sci-fi novels, most recently I finally finished War of the Worlds, which was fantastic! I haven't bothered to see the movie, b/c I feel like it will just be a disappointment. I love the Star Wars movies, George Lucas is a genius when it comes to thinking up all the amazing creatures in that series. I've read a few books by Piers Anthony, I forget the titles but they are about Death, Mother Nature, Time, War, God and the Devil. Good reads. Robert Heinlen is another favorite author, I enjoyed Starship Troopers the movie a lot also. I don't have extensive sci-fi knowledge but have recently begun to enjoy the genre. I'm a huge fan of Stargate (both the movie and the series) on Sci-Fi channel, it was better in the first few seasons but they're beginning to run out of ideas believe it or not. There's only so many new aliens that can threaten to blow Earth to pieces.
I'm really looking forward to our reading list.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy Duncan said...

Liz, I'm glad you enjoyed Wells' The War of the Worlds, one of my favorites. Have you read any other H.G. Wells novels?

The opening of that novel is one of the great opening passages in the English language:

"No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. ... Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. And early in the twentieth century came the great disillusionment." -- Andy

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home