Friday, September 02, 2005

Hi!

Hi everyone!

My definition of science fiction is writing that distorts reality through the use of technological inovations as well as technology and scientific means that have yet to be discovered. For me science fiction is a way of bringing impossible or improbable feats into a literary world where these feats constitute a normal way of life. Science fiction can discuss all aspects of society (political, social, economic).

I have read Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of my favorite books in Orwell's 1984. I'm sure that I have read other science fiction material, but these two works are the only ones that I distictly remember. I'll be honest. Science fiction has not been my favorite reading in the past, but I'm anxious to get into the material for this class.


Meredith Ware

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy Duncan said...

Meredith, I'm interested that your definition of science fiction emphasizes technology, but the two novels you cite, Atwood's and Orwell's, seem to be more focused on social and political change than technological change. Or is social engineering itself a form of technology?

11:44 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

I think that social engineering itself is a form of technology. It's almost as though I associate science fiction with worldly scenarios that seem too far beyond belief, but at the same time, I could see the scenario happening in our society. Politician engineer our society everyday. Some people turn a blind eye to things, however, I could realisticly see how our society could have its own Big Brother in the future.

Science fiction to me embraces what could be and forces people to ask "what if?".

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home