Monday, September 05, 2005

What I think science fiction is

I guess my definition of science fiction would have to be that it is an entertainment form dealing with that which is basically unknown to us, encompassing both earthly and otherwordly creatures. Usually the author or creator chooses a topic that is more of a fantasy but entertains notions that either could occur or in some way parallel actual events or objects. This seems to by why people are so interested in science fiction, not just because of the fantasy aspect but because completely random events could potentially occur, and it's fascinating to think that creatures who are nothing like us could come here and hang out or we could move a book with our minds. It's that combination of illusion and actuality that keeps people coming back--perhaps that's why I was so obsessed with ET when I was little, I really thought one day I would meet him. I suppose that most people assume that it solely discusses aliens, but after years of watching the scifi channel I've noticed that science fiction also deals with weird sea creatures and people who have strange powers and such. Maybe examples would be like 10000 leagues under the sea and encounter.
I don't really know if I have had that many experiences with science fiction other than my dad used to make me watch star trek like it was going out of style, and when I was little I thought I saw a space ship once, but I think it was just a meteor. Oh, and this one time I won an alien from a game at six flags and I thought he was pretty, so maybe sciece fiction has impacted an artistic side of my life?? I don't really read a lot of science fiction, but I do tend to flip to the scifi channel a lot (as I mentioned before) and the shows are fun. The twilight zone is just a classic, you have to love that show as well as the ride in MGM. I think that's about all I can say for now about science fiction!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Andy Duncan said...

Like Amanda, I once saw a UFO -- meaning, something in the sky that I couldn't identify at the time. Amanda, you say yours was probably a meteor; mine may well have been a searchlight drawing patterns in the clouds. How about the rest of the class? Anyone else seen a UFO?

4:55 PM  
Blogger Andy Duncan said...

Ah, the Rendlesham Forest incident! Excellent. Some UFO buffs call that the "English Roswell"; I wonder whether a tongue-in-cheek local tourism industry will grow up around it, as has happened in New Mexico. Here's a skeptical analysis of the incident.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Nick Beadle said...

I grew up in the backwoods of North Alabama, I saw weird stuff all the time out there, including weird bicycle-seat shaped objects with triangularly-arranged white lights around it's center that my brother and I saw when I was 15.

It was actually pretty fun, even though I have no idea what the hell I saw.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home