Monday, October 10, 2005

PETA or Slavery Connection?

Since we will be discussing The Mount tonight in class, I thought I would bring up something that has been bothering me about the book. I could not help but feel that the author made certain connections between us and horses when the Hoots used us as mounts. Was the author trying to make a statement about the use of animals as beasts of burden? Some would say that you cannot compare us to horses since we are so much more intelligent. But the Hoots were supposed to be much smarter than us. In fact, they looked down on us as we look down on horses.

I get the feeling that the author wanted us to be upset with reading about humans racing and wearing bits just like horses. I could not help but think of PETA's recent efforts to change the poultry industry by comparing it to the Holocaust. Would PETA want to send out posters with horses riding us? Did she want us to feel how horses feel? If so, she did a good job. Was her goal to have us rethink using animals as servants? Or would it be easier to compare the plot to the abolition of slavery in the 19th century? Did the Hoots underestimate us, like others underestimated African Americans? Maybe she wasn't trying to make a statement on either point. I'll be looking forward to hearing what others think in our discussion tonight and on the blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home