Monday, September 19, 2005

Question for Mr. Chiang

Hello!!
When I was reading your story "Hell is the Absence of God," I was very saddened by the fact that a rapist was saved by seeing the light of heaven but that the main character was still sent to hell anyway, even though people thought that this was a definite means of salvation. I also thought it was interesting how he loved God in Hell now unconditionally even when he had never loved Him before. It was, however, an interesting twist, one that I wasn't expecting and I enjoyed that! I found my own interpretation, but I was wondering if perhaps you had some sort of societal commentary in mind behind this idea and what your own beliefs about organized religion might be. Perhaps there are certain aspects of today's "believers" that you dislike, or the way people approach relationships in general?
And in answer to the question the person had about the golem, it's an old Jewish myth--or perhaps belief? I'm not sure, but I know that dating way back they used to talk about rabbis making them to do household chores, and the "mystics", those people studying Kabbalah, still think that this exists. There are still people today who beleive that you can animate clay and dirt by placing a name in the back, and I believe a few websites online detailing how you can make one yourself. If that interests you you should check it out!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home