Sunday, November 06, 2005

Technology in Eastern Standard Tribe

I thought this was an interesting article. It deals with the same technology as the novel, only on a smaller scale. The man featured in the story liked the idea of broadcasting his choice of music to other cars around him. I think it would be cool to experiment with this idea of pirate radio. I have XM radio and people have told me that they are able to pick up my signal sometimes coming from my FM modulator. So I am broadcasting my choice of music to those in vehicles around me if they happen to stubble across the right channel.

I think that it would neat to expand this technology in the way Doctorow does in the novel. The general public would really get involved in developing this technology I believe, but the government might not be so keen. Advancement of this technology has all of the trademarks of another Napster-like case. With people freely distributing music from car to car, people will surely pull the copyright card. Even with all of the potential problems; I believe that companies should explore the possibility of incorporating this technology as an added feature when purchasing a vehicle even if there is a minimal monthly fee to share your tunes with others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home